4. Black+Decker 4-Slice Toaster Oven [TO1313SBD] – Best Toaster Oven Under $50
Dimensions (in): W-15.5 x D-10 x H-8.5 | Max Fit: 4 slices, 9” pizza | Number of Presets: 4 | Power: 1150W | Features: EvenToast technology, Stay-on Function
Keeping it simple
Ok, let’s take a break from all the super-duper, top-of-the-line toaster ovens with tons of features crammed in to bloat the spec sheet.
Some of us really just want a classic toaster oven. A toaster in a portable oven form factor:
- with the extra real estate for food that may or may not fit in a slot,
- that toasts as well as bake and broil,
- but without the frills and a three-figure price tag
The BLACK+DECKER 4-Slice Toaster Oven is that oven.
No, it doesn’t have convection, LCD display, air fryer (slim fry), and what not. What it does have are essentials that make it a useful toaster oven with a decent performance.
Critical features that guarantee decent performance
- To start with, the T01313SBD has a stainless steel build for durability and to fit with the aesthetics of most kitchens
- It has a compact size, similar to the Panasonic Flash Xpress, that fits up to 4 slices and a 9” pizza
- It boasts of the EvenToast technology to offer a solid performance—whether it is toasting crispy bagel or bread, baking a potato or soft cupcakes, or heating up a leftover
- It offers FOUR (4) basic pre-set functions—toast, bake, broil, and warm
- It is fitted with THREE (3) dials/knobs—to select temperature, cooking function, and time—for easy control
- It has a toast selector, removable crumb tray, and includes a bake pan and broil rack as accessories
No flaws worth pointing out
Before you purchase the Black+Decker TO1313SBD Toaster Oven, it is crucial to note that it is not a premium toaster oven, it isn’t priced as one, and you shouldn’t expect it to perform as one.
Once you acknowledge this fact, the value proposition of the TO1313SBD becomes undeniably apparent—acceptable performance at a budget-friendly price point.
It may not have the most power, may take a while to preheat, and may not be as fast as the Flash Xpress; but the results are not off the mark. It sufficiently browns toasts evenly and on both sides. Baking and broiling results are equally satisfactory.
And while its timer maxes out at 30 minutes, unlike the Flash Xpress you do not have to restart after it elapses. Rather, it has a nifty stay-on feature that you could select with the timer dial to keep it operational for as long as you need (although, we advise against this for obvious safety reasons, especially if you’d step out of the kitchen).
Its temperature range of 150°F to 450 °F is as extensive as you’d need for most cooking tasks.
The Black+Decker 4-Slice Toaster Oven TO1313SBD
- has a design that doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb;
- offers a better than average performance;
- is very easy to use;
- is simple to clean and maintain;
- is available at roughly 1/8th and 1/3rd the cost of our top pick and runner up respectively; and
- has a 2-year warranty (our top two picks have one year warranty)
If there’s a feature you can’t do without and it isn’t on the TO1313SBD, say convection or an interior oven light, up your budget and go for another toaster oven on the list.
However, if you want a modern iteration of the classic toaster oven that has served homes dutifully for decades, you can’t go wrong with the Black+Decker TO1313SBD.
Black+Decker 4-slice Toaster Oven TO1313SBD versus Black+Decker 4-slice Toaster Oven TO1303SB: The Differences
Both models are identical in functions and performance. The difference between both models is cosmetic.
The 1303SB has a slightly shinier, more elegant appearance; and it has better knobs (dials) compared to the 1313SBD. Thus, it is marginally more expensive.
However, it is worth noting that though both models have had durability complaints, most likely due to defective products, the rate of complaints was higher for the 1303SB.